Friday 11 January 2008

Open source terrain

The open source approach to SL object creation currently being adopted by Clever Zebra attracted a lot of blog attention last week. Quite rightly... it's a novel approach and it'll be interesting to see how things pan out.

Today, I note that they are adopting a similar approach to terrain files. Interesting...

As an aside, I now think that one of the things I got wrong when I constructed Eduserv Island was the terrain. Eduserv Island is made up of a lot of hard edges (it is shaped into the letter E - the Eduserv logo). Because of this I adopted the aproach of constructing most of the land mass out of large grass cubes, leaving much of the terrain underneath 20m under water. This has an impact on how some objects float and/or fly I think. The advantage is that there is lots of underground space to play with (though as far as I know, no-one has yet discovered my subterranean building work!).

No comments: