Tuesday 7 August 2007

SL Hacienda and voice

I just met up briefly with Ade Snook at the Second Life Hacienda, resulting from him tweeting that he was alone on the dancefloor - ahhh. The Hacienda was a Manchester club that I never went to in RL (partly because of being a southerner!) but Ade said that it was a reasonably faithful replica of the original.

While we were there we tried out the SL voice feature. Cool. It took a while to get the settings right (e.g. correctly setting the relative volumes for audio, video and voice) but once done it seemed to work very well.

The way that the sound changes as you move relative to other speakers is particularly nice.

I suggested to Ade afterwards that we should organise a voice trial for any UK Educators that are interested - or anyone else for that matter. I was originally thinking about testing voice on Eduserv Island, but the Hacienda would be more fun. How about 4.00pm (UK time) on Thursday 9th August?

4 comments:

Art Fossett said...

Note that Ade has put up a Facebook page for this meeting at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=4593481110

Unknown said...

I can't wait to test out voice with everyone! I've been using it for a couple days and it's been GREAT!

Peter Miller said...

Anyone cross-posting to the jiscmail group?

Peter Miller said...

Well, I don't use Facebook and there are 100 people on the jiscmail list who might be interested, i.e. worth a try. Except if they all turn up, of course! For me a group message is normally sufficient, preferably a couple of days in advance and 5-10 mins before as a reminder. If you're using Fb for other SL organisational purposes, I'd like to know. I'm trying to keep out of Fb but there does seem an inevitable slide in its direction...